Hydroelectric power plants route Section 2: Fustanyà Pont de Daió Queralbs. Route 16 Vall de Ribes

Vall de Ribes is an open-air hydroelectric museum. The Daió Power Plant was the first Catalan plant that transported electrical energy over long distances. The itinerary, that runs through the operative facilities, shows the full use of the upper basin

Modality
  • By foot
Region
  • Ripollès
Towns
  • Queralbs
Time
  • Between 3 and 4 hours
Difficulty
  • Medium
Time
  • 3h15min
Distance
  • 7,8 Km
Hide elevation maximum
  • 1.296m
Hide elevation minimum
  • 1.065m
Ascent
  • 335m
Descent
  • 335m
Thematic
  • Vall de Ribes routes

Vall de Ribes is an open-air hydroelectric museum. The Daió Power Plant was the first Catalan plant that transported electrical energy over long distances. The itinerary, that runs
through the operative facilities, shows the full use of the upper basin of River Freser through the power plants, from the headwaters to Ribes de Freser.

This route can be done together with “Hydroelectric Power Plants Route I”. From the starting point, in the vertical sign R166 in Fustanyà, go down to the central del Molí, a hydroelectric power plant which is a short 15 minutes' walk. Cross the river Freser and the Queralbs road until the dam and the central del Molí, where there is the sign Q7.

The dam still preserves the floodgates house next to the sluice. The power plant, built in 1914 by Mines Gironès & Henrich company, is the most spectacular of all, both for its Modernist architecture and for its inner space, which has a wide variety of machinery and interesting furniture elements.

To arrive to La Farga and the Ielles Power Plant, turn right to follow the wagon route which goes parallel to the road. Cross it again before going through the bridge over the river Freser to find the La Farga dam.
This old power plant nests in the right side of the road from Ribes to Queralbs, inside the property of the Maristes hostel. It was dismantled in 1940.

Continue walking until you reach to Ielles power plant, still operative, situated in the left side of the River Freser. The sign Q8 is here. Turn right to arrive to Daió de Baix. This power plant,
fed by the waters of Rivers Núria and Freser, is the first power plant built in River Freser. Erected in 1907, the original building was demolished in 1999 but there are still original adjacent constructions and control facilities. Situated in the Queralbs path to Coma de Vaca, it was the first power plant in Catalonia to supply electricity in the city of Vic. The sign Q5 pont de Daió is here. Cross the wooden bridge, walk around the plant and follow the metal catwalk over the River Núria to get to Queralbs passing through Greixers.

Enjoy the nice views that this path offers and arrive at the sign Q6 Greixers in La Farga; continue towards Queralbs, following a 25 minutes walking way. At plaça del Raig in Queralbs, there is the sign R114 that leads to the small village of Fustanyà, where you’ll arrive in about 40 minutes. The path comes back again to the sign Q7 central del Molí. Follow always the directions to Fustanyà, the starting point.