This route will take us to one of the most remarkable buildings among the witnesses of Romanesque art and an exceptional pilgrimage center in the Besalú county, Sant Sepulcre de Palera.
Sant Sepulcre de Palera route. Route 8 Beuda
- By foot
- Between 3 and 4 hours
Hide elevation maximum
Hide elevation minimum
We start the itinerary in Beuda at the G155 Itinerànnia network of paths junction, go down until we find the road we will follow for a short section until we find the G182 La Canova junction, we will continue for another short section along the road until the yellow marks and in this section also those of the GR2, they indicate that we are going to the right. Without losing the marks we will follow the path and in less than two kilometers we will reach the Sant Sepulcre de Palera.
The first news about the site of Palera date from the year 979. The church was consecrated in the year 1085 by the bishop of Girona, Berenger Guifré. It soon became a center of pilgrimage, as indulgences similar to those obtained in the Holy Land could be obtained.
In 1107, the administration of the church was entrusted to the abbot of Santa Maria de la Grassa, who founded a small Benedictine monastery there. This relationship was broken in the 16th century, with the approval of the Holy See. From that moment the community was reduced to three monks.
In the 18th century and due to the poor state of some of the outbuildings, some reforms were made, but from 1835, with its confiscation, a very important period of degradation began. In 1962, a controversial restoration was carried out that destroyed the Romanesque galilea.
The simplicity of the entire construction stands out. The central nave is covered with a barrel vault and the sides with a quarter-circle vault. The separation between the naves is done through square pillars and semicircular arches. The arches start from a simple impost, without decoration.
The facade, after losing the galilea, has been quite altered. It is crowned by a bell tower with two eyes of a later bill.
From the B7 junction we will now continue in the direction of Beuda via Can Felip and Can Feu. After a few meters we will find another intersection B12 Palera.
From this crossing, we have the possibility of connecting with another itinerary, that of Lligordà and Palera and visiting two more Romanesque jewels of this valley: Santa Maria de Palera and Sant Pere de Lligordà.
Our proposal continues towards Beuda, we leave the GR2 following the road that passes by the abandoned farmhouses of Can Felip and Can Feu, until we reach the B13 intersection Ca n'Oms de Guixars, where we will go to the right, Following the path called by some the water path, we will leave the ca n'Oms house on the right and a little further on we will find the G180 Rec de la Codina intersection. We will continue, again, to the right for about two and a half kilometers until we reach the G182 la Canova intersection, which we have already found at the beginning of the route. We go along the small stretch of road to return to Beuda, where we started the route.